Thursday, October 28, 2010

Your future

Dear Laura,
I try not worry about your future. I used to. Before you were born, I worried alot. Most of those worries were there because of "statistics" that we read about on the internet. We read that a huge percent of babies that have Down syndrome are miscarried or stillborn. Only 25% of the ones that make it to birth will live to see their first birthday. So, of course, I was scared. I couldn't listen to the song "Butterfly Kisses" because it made me think of how you might never get married. Because back then, I thought people with Down syndrome didn't get married. So back then, my worries were plenty.




I know that I shouldn't have worried because God says in the Bible not to worry. Because really? What does worrying do for us? Nothing. It doesn't solve our problems, it doesn't help us make feel better, it does nothing good for us. Now, I try not to worry. Of course, I have my moments where I worry. But I try not to worry because I know that you are God's child and that He will take better care of you than anyone else in this world ever could. I have faith in Him. I do not live in denial. I know that the future might be hard. But is life ever easy all of the time? No it's not. And in reality, all of these worries have nothing to do with your Down syndrome. Life is sometimes hard just because we live in an imperfect world.




I don't know if I have an easier time not worrying about your future because I'm not a mom. But I honestly think that has nothing to do with it. I think it's just because I allow myself not to. I believe that even if you were my child, I still would not worry. I guess it's just the way I am. I guess that I have confidence that you are going to be ok. Your life is good. You have a family and friends that love you like crazy. Your future looks so bright. I know that my God is bigger than any of my worries. I know that He is your protector, and that no matter what, you belong to Him.



I love you to the moon and back 1,000 times x 10!

Love,
Sissy

4 comments:

Tay said...

People with Down Syndrome don't get married? PFFT! Oscar and Laura are the cutest couple ever hahaha!
Beautiful post Ash :)

RK said...

Keep teaching Laura about God and his promises. Love that!

But wow, it makes me sad when I find out people still have those "statistics" out there...so wrong, so outdated, and causing fear where there need not be. To think that only 25% would make it to their first birthday! Amazing. That must be a truly ancient bunch of data!

Glad you're right there to keep her encouraged and looking toward her VERY bright future! :o)

JC said...

What beautiful pictures!! Great post Ashley...worrying really doesnt get us anywhere...I am trying hard to not worry as much as I do..Its a process for me though...But I feel strongly too that Russell has a bright future ahead of him, he is happy and healthy and so very very loved, so how could his future not be bright!
Loved this post :)

Jaimie said...

She is absolutely beautiful!

Jaimie (lurker)