Saturday, August 28, 2010

You are who you are, and I love you for it

Dear Laura,
I was originally going to write about something different. But I decided not to. See, I was going to write all on how people are starting to notice your Down Syndrome.
But I am not going to write about that. Because it doesn't matter. Your Down Syndrome doesn't matter. It doesn't make you who you are so why even focus on it. You are Laura....and that is who you ARE, Down Syndrome is not.
Mommy was telling me last night that we should not focus on or talk that much about your Down Syndrome, because even though you don't understand what we are saying now, you will when you are older. If we center our conversations around it now, then it will become a habit.
We DO NOT want you growing up thinking you are different than everyone else, because you are not. So, I will not write about your Down Syndrome right now. Not that we will ignore it or act like you don't have it, but we will not center your life and our lives around it :)
So what am I going to write about? You. All about you :)
You are at such a fun age right now.....just the right age to where you have soo much personality, but you can't talk yet so you can't sass us :p I know all your moods, all your faces. What your cries mean. I love it when I walk into the room wherever you may be, and you give me a look. You round our mouth into a perfect "o" shape, squint your eyes, and just stare at me. It is almost a look of disgust. The cutest look of disgust ever! It makes me laugh everytime....and you know it too!
I love how you look at people and things out of the corner of your eye. It is so cute! It makes us laugh....you always make us laugh! You are quite the little comedian :)
Grandma and grandpa moved in with us yesterday, so you are getting even MORE attention then you already did! You spoiled little princesss :) It's ok though. You DESERVE to be a little spoiled. After all you've been through..
You are 10 months old! Seriously? Where did the time go, girl? Less than 2 months til your first birthday...what a celebration that will be! You are getting bigger everyday, and gaining so much weight. You gained 3 lbs. 5 oz. in 8 weeks. Oink oink ;) You love your food, crazy girl!
I love love love waking up to your face in the morning. You're always the first one I look for. You are usually always the first person to make me smile each day. Even if you are asleep when I wake up, you still make me smile....just by being you. And boy, do I love you. EVERYTHING about you, I love.
Oh and another thing I love about you? Your toothless grin. It's the cutest thing in the world! The rest of us had our first tooth in by 5 months....you're 10 months and still have no teeth, but that's ok with me! Cuz I love it!
As I write this, you are sitting in brother's booster seat and you're sitting up so good in there...and you're playing with your blocks too :) Ohhhh you're so cute and I LOVE YOU!

To the moon and back 1,000 times x 10!

Love,

Sissy

9 comments:

Patti said...

Sweetie girl!! How long will your grandparents be with you? That is so sweet that you opened up your home to them, you must have an awesome relationship. I am going to "steal" that music for Lily's blog, do you mind? I have been looking for good piano music and that song was perfect! Have a great Sunday!!
P.S. Kenz and I made our own picture banners (she has words now, but in the past) on photobucket..you host it there, and then copy and paste the link into a gadget tab. If you want to do one, I'll email you directions. Let me know!

JC said...

Beautifuly said :)

Ashley said...

Thank you, Jenny :)
Patti- I'm not sure how long we will be living together, but yes we have an amazing relationship with them! :) I don't mind at all! I love Jim Brickman's music. Hope you have a great Sunday too :)
Thank you for the info!

P said...

Your post is great! I can't wait to read more. My daughters love their brother with DS as much as you, maybe we will all meet someday. Your mom is right, blogging brings up DS but we all know that life is life and we don't even think about it much at all when living it! An occassional explanation to a stranger, yeah, but otherwise our lives are the same. With a bit of expert advice from therapists and for many little ones, extra doctors and specialists.

But we survive and thrive and laugh extra I think cause my son is a lot like your sister, good for a sweet smile and cute mischevious glances! Enjoy and love her like you do and spread the extra love too.

Thanks and keep going!!

Kelle said...

I get tears in my eyes when I read your stuff (and I've stopped by here before). I think you are an amazing individual, and your baby sister is so lucky to have you. She is beautiful. And you're so right...it doesn't matter if you see "it" or not because "it" doesn't make her who she is. Both of you are beautiful.

Ashley said...

Thank you, P! Where do you guys live?

Thank you, Kelle! That's sweet of you! :) Nella and Lainey are so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hun its endearing how big your heart is and how much love you have for your precious sister your blog is beautiful - your an amazing young lady - your sister and you are amazing gifts - much happiness wished for you both.

Ashley said...

Thank you very much :) That's very sweet!

txkerri said...

What a great sister you are! Laura is beautiful and soo lucky to have you!!