Friday, September 9, 2011

A letter from Kaleigh...

Dear Laura,
Hi Sweetie! It’s your other big sister, Kaleigh ;) As Ashley’s sister in Christ and with her being one of my best friends in the world I adore claiming you and her as mine. You are such a beautiful blessing and I want you to know how much you are loved and treasured! I can’t wait until the day you will let me hold you. What I mainly want to tell you in this letter though, is less for you and more about you. Your sister Ashley was talking today about the purpose for this blog. The purpose is that anyone who isn’t sure if they can “handle a baby who has down syndrome to be assured that they CAN. For anyone contemplating abortion because their baby might have some diagnosis or another to be completely 100% changed by YOU! What I thought was I want those who stumble on your blog through a desperate google search for answers to their questions on Down Syndrome (or cuteness for that matter) to find your blog and to KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are WORTHY.

You were worthy of being given a chance at life.
You were worthy of being celebrated and waited for.
You were worthy of being given your Grandmother’s beautiful name.
You were worthy of photo shoots and extreme excitement and unspeakable, boundless love.
That is what you were given. All of it and so much more! Your family knew that YOU were a precious, priceless gift that they would have been crazy to have missed out on.
There is so much more, Laura.
You are worthy of best friends, and ice cream, of Sunshine and rainbows and feeling an ocean breeze on your cheeks, You are worthy of being defined only as Laura Brianne: Sister, daughter, friend, cousin, niece, grand-daughter. You are worthy of falling in love, of living out your days in whatever way God calls you to and with no limits!
Do I need to tell those who love you, your family, friends and me, that you are WORTHY? No not really they know and have always known that it is true. Nothing to the contrary ever crossed their minds as they look into your gorgeous eyes.
But there are other Mommy’s and Daddy’s that need to know.
They need to know that their little one is not only worthy, but capable. Those Moms and Dads who are contemplating the new life they have been entrusted with have no reason to worry about that baby with Down syndrome. Their “quality of life” will be just fine. They will bring more love and joy to their family and to the world than a dozen “normal” babies would.
Show them Little Miss Attitude
Work that smile and that strawberry blonde hair.


I’m sooo proud of this little sister.


Laura, Not only are you showing the world how beautiful Down Syndrome is (Even though it does NOT define you, outside of changing my perceptions of it because it was new to me… now I forget that you HAVE it) You also changed me! I don’t say that lightly Princess, there have only been three other people in the world who have truly changed my life.
You pushed me to act. To stop talking about changing the world and start doing it. Because I’m not Okay with how other’s with that special extra chromosome are treated. I’m not Okay with the fact that many, many people think of it like I used to. They think it’s scary (Isn’t that crazy Laura?) They think it’s a joke, they think it makes you different than others.
If I have anything to do with it the world is going to know that Laura Brianne Quinn is SPECIAL because she is who she is NOT because of her special need. If I have anything to say the world is going to know that Down syndrome is a blessing beyond measure, nothing more and nothing less.
Love you baby girl
XOXO
Kaleigh

P.S. I can’t wait until your new little sister, Autumn Brooke comes home too, I know she will be just as loved and special and beautiful as YOU are! 



1 comment:

Alyssa D. Goodhue said...

Truly Amazing Kaleigh. She is a precous little girl the SOO deserves Big sisters like Ashley and you! <3
Jesus has truly blessed her.