Dear Laura and Autumn,
I have yet to write a letter to both of you at the same time, but there's always a first time for everything, right? :) I have many purposes for writing these letters to you. One of the purposes is to help you out in the future....to give you my Godly, big sister advice. Most of my letters have been filled with my love for both of you with ocassional pieces of advice and encouragment mixed in them. This letter is going to be filled with advice for the both of you. It is something that I feel very strongly about, so hear me out :)
I am 19, and I have been in 3 relationships. I know that that is not many compared to other people my age, but I never wanted it to be this way. I wanted the first guy that I dated to be the man that I would marry. I wanted him to be my first and last kiss. I wanted to be able to be like Mommy, and be able to tell my kids that my husband was my first and only love. Things didn't quite turn out the way that I had hoped they would....at all. I had my first boyfriend when I was 15 (No, you are not allowed date at 15. You are going to have to wait until you're at least 35 until Sissy will allow you to date anyone). I did not have a good first relationship. I was treated unkindly. Not only did I not get my dream of marrying the first guy that I dated, but I was left with scars on my heart. I've had 2 relationships since then. I have had my heart broken. I have been hurt emotionally. THIS is why I am writing this specific letter to you....because I want to keep both of you from ever having to go through heart break. I want to help you avoid getting hurt.
I decided to write this to you right now because my heart has recently been broken, and like I said, I want to try to give you some advice so that hopefully you will never have to have your heart broken, too. First off, I want to tell you this: Never chase a guy. If a guy isn't willing to persue you, then he isn't worth your time. If he doesn't ask for your heart from God, then he isn't worth your time. If he doesn't love God more than he loves you, he isn't worth you time. Through my experiences, I have learned one thing: Don't settle. Don't settle for anything less than what God desires for you. Don't just settle for someone that's "Okay". Don't just settle for someone that you could "deal with". Don't settle for anything less than what you deserve.
Don't ever let a guy speak unkindly to you. Don't let him look down on you. Don't let him try to make you believe things about yourself that are untrue. Don't ever let a guy call you "insecure" or tell you that you're "fat.
This is the kind of guy that me and God want for you: The kind of guy who will love you unconditionally. A guy who will accept your flaws. Someone who will love you whether you're in a good mood or a bad mood, or if you have make up on or not. A guy who will lead you in Bible studies and worship. Someone who will hug you close to him and pray for you when you are hurting. Someone who will treasure you for the beautiful jem that you are. Someone who will be proud of you and will not be ashamed of the whole world knowing that you are his girl. Someone who is there for you no matter what time of day it is. The kind of guy that respects you. Someone who takes very good care of your heart. Someone who looks at you like you are the most beautiful thing that he has ever seen (because I guarantee you, you will be). There are so many more things that I want for you for your future husband, but these are just the ones that I can think of right now.
A friend of mine told me lately that I need to find a guy who will greet me every morning by calling me beautiful or gorgeous. I want this for both of you. I want you to be treasured. You are a rare, beautiful, precious gift from God. You are His princess. You are MY princess, and you deserve nothing but the best. Don't settle.
I love you both with all of my heart!
To the moon and back 1,000 times x 10!
Love,
Sissy
1 comment:
Ashley, I may print this out and save it for my three daughters when they are teenagers...What beautiful, perfect advice!
Post a Comment