Friday, April 20, 2012

Beautiful & Unexpected

For those of you who have been following my blog for a while, you know that I usually use this blog to write letters to Laura and Autumn. I have occasionally used it to advocate for the orphans or make everyone aware of a giveaway that one of my bloggy friends has going on. I have even occasionally used it to ask people for prayer. Sometimes, though, I feel the urge to write about something that has to do with Down syndrome that can't be put into a letter to one of my girls. I have a personal blog, but it wouldn't fit there. So, I thought, "Why don't I just use my blog for Laura and Autumn?", and that is exactly what I am going to do :)

I was having dinner with my family last night. While I was sitting there, I started thinking about how different my life is now than it was 5 years ago. 5 years ago, I knew nothing about Down syndrome. I knew nothing about orphans. I knew nothing about adoption. 5 years ago, I was much more selfish than I am now. 5 years ago, I wouldn't have thought twice before buying something because I didn't think there was anything better to put my money towards than on something that I wanted. 5 years ago, I would have never asked my parents to adopt a child or long to adopt one myself because why adopt when you can just have a child of your own?

Now, I know so much about Down syndrome that I feel like I could write a book about it. From the moment we got the diagnosis that Laura had Down syndrome, I started researching. While my mom was pregnant with her, I found out so much about Down syndrome that I could tell you almost every possible thing that had to do with Down syndrome. Since then, I have discovered even more and more to further my knowledge. Now, I know the horrible situations that these precious orphans with special needs are in right now. I know that there is something that I can do to help them.  I know that my passion in life is to help the least of these. I know that my heart longs to find some kind of profession that has to do with orphans so that I can devote my life to these 147 million fatherless little ones (Any suggestions?). Now, I think twice before I buy things. I question myself why I would buy something that I don't need when I can help a child who is in major need. I feel guilty for buying myself stuff when I can give that money to a family who is trying to bring their baby or babies home. Now, I love adoption! I longed for my parents to adopt. I think, "Why would my mom have another baby when my family could save a child who is already born? A child who is lucky to even be alive?" I long to adopt a child someday myself. Now, I fight hard to bring my little sister home. Now, I fight for my sisters to be accepted in the society. Now, I know what true love feels like. 

5 years ago, I would have never thought that 5 years later, I'd have a baby sister with Down syndrome. I would have never thought that my family would be adopting. I never thought that my family would be adopting a little girl with Down syndrome. Laura's Down syndrome came unexpectedly. My love for orphans which led to our adoption of Autumn came unexpectedly. 

I am so thankful for these unexpected blessings. Laura and Autumn have both taught me so much about life. They have changed my view on life. They have changed my life. They have changed me. I don't know what I would do without them. I don't know who I would be without them. God has used them to make me who I am today. I thank God everyday for these two. 

They have helped me find beauty in the unexpected.....

Love,
Ashley

1 comment:

Forgiven.4 said...

Hi Ashley,
First off, I want to say that I love your heart!! I just read a few of you posts and I have tears in my eyes. What a wonderful big sister you already are to Laura(and i'm sure to your brothers) and the love you have for Autumn. A little about me.... I work at Redlands High School as an aide in Special Ed & have done so for about 20 years. I have worked with a lot of students with DS over the years. At times they can be stubborn, but so very lovable! One of my dearest friends, Heather, was a teacher there in Special Ed. She & her husband were not able to have kids and decided to adopt. They didn't start out to adopt a baby/child with special needs, but God brought this wonderful baby girl, with DS into their lives. Heather & her husband Josh are Christians, and they prayed a lot about their decision. The doctor told them she was a sick child and my not live to be 10 years old. They were so torn, but they did adopt her and now she is almost 4 years old and doing well. Heather writes a blog, it's... ohmacyn.blogspot.com. They adopted another baby girl and her name is Truly Star. They wanted to come to the Flapjack Fundraiser, but they are not able to. I found out about the fundraiser thru my best friend Tricia. She & her husband Sean have a little girl, Meili, who has DS. Meili's teacher is Breanna & I think works with Laura. Anyways, to make a long story short, I've been reading Anticipating Autumn and was just so blessed reading your post & then reading your blog as well. Just wanted to tell you that Laura & Autumn are So very Blessed to have you as their big sister!! I look forward to meeting you & your family this Saturday at the fundraiser.
Linda