Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A little more time on you....

Dear Laura,
You are perfect. I know that God is the only true perfect person ever to exist, but as far as just average humans go, you are perfect. I was listening to this song called "God must have spent a little more time on you", and it inspired this letter.
Before I continue, I want to say this: I rarely write about Down syndrome. It's not because I'm ashamed of you having it or anything like that. I rarely write about it because to me it doesn't matter. Centering my blog around Down syndrome would be like centering my blog around your gorgeous red hair. I wouldn't focus a whole blog on just your hair, so why would I focus a whole blog on just your Down syndrome? When people read my blog, I want them to realize that we have a normal life. Completely and absolutely normal. My life is like anyone else's (except way more special because you're in it) ;) Anyway, like I said, I rarely ever write about Down syndrome. This letter will be about Down syndrome, however, but in a different way than most people write about Down syndrome on their blogs.....


The main line of the song is "God must have spent a little more time on you". When I think of that line, I automatically think of YOU. In my eyes, you are absolutely perfect, and I feel like God must have spent a little more time on you because He made you SO special. You have blessed my life more than words could describe. Your little faces that you make make my heart melt, and that gorgeous smile of yours could light up a room. You have such a sassy attitude that is absoultely adorable now, but I know won't be so adorable when you are 5 ;) You love to give us kisses and hugs. Sometimes, though, when we try to kiss you, you turn your head. You are independent, yet still very dependent. You have the sweetest personality ever. You have gorgeous blue eyes, and tiny feet and hands. You chew on your fingers and whine a bit when you are about to fall asleep. You are super smart, and you have more facial expressions than I thought any one person could have. When I look at you, I see all of this and more. Did you see me name anything about Down syndrome? No, because when I look at you, that's not what I see.




Most people think about that extra chromosome as a "mistake". A glitch. A mess up. I see it as a blessing. God took extra time to give you a little something extra that most people don't have, so how could that be a "mistake"? God made YOU extra special :)
When we meet new people, I hate telling them that you have Down syndrome. Not because I'm ashamed to tell them, but because I think it's silly to say "Hey, this is Laura and she has Down syndrome." That's just like me saying "Hey, this is Laura and she has blue eyes." To me, you having Down syndrome is just like you having blue eyes. It all makes you who you are! It's just a small, teeny tiny fraction of who you are. Instead of telling them "She has Down syndrome", I'd rather say "She took her first step a couple of days ago!" (Which you did! Aren't you smart?) :) I see you for you, and I pray that one day, Down syndrome will become such an accepted thing that everyone, not only me, will just see you for you.

I love you to the moon and back 1,000 times x 10!

Love,
Sissy

5 comments:

Candy said...

what????!!!! Laura took a step? Can't wait 'til I get to see her do it :) Maybe she will teach Reagan that too, since she was so good at theaching her to sit up!

shayneswife said...

Go Laura! That was really lovely Ashley. I really am glad that I read your post. I feel the same way about Stefi. They are amazing little blessings aren't they?

nicole said...

Laura is so blessed to have you for a big sister. Love how you see her for the beautiful creation she is.

Shauna said...

Love that song...love that girl!

Melissa said...

Yay for the first step!! Love this post Ashley!