Thursday, January 27, 2011

Surprise! (my longest post....ever)

Dear Laura,
I want to start with this: This post is wayyy overdue and I am sorry. I have not been putting it off purposly.. I promise :)
Okay, now that THAT is out of the way, let me tell you about the best weekend of my life...

About a month or so ago, we found out that your best friend, Lily, was going to be having a party for her first birthday! Her mommy, Patti, said that if anyone was in town, they could stop in. I wished so badly that we could be there for her special day, and, plus, I wanted to meet their whole family so badly. I knew that it was impossible though considering they live about 15 hours or so away from us. But, about 2 weeks before Lily's party, we decided that we would show up to Lily's party and surprise the whole Rice family! I was so excited at the thought....You'll probably think I'm a little silly, but I got butterflies in my tummy at the thought of meeting them! :) So we prepared for our trip, and told only a few close people of our plans because we didn't want any possible way of the surprise getting out.

So, the day before Lily's party, at 1:30 am, we set out....






It seemed so unreal that in just a little over 24 hours later I would finally meet the family that I had been longing to meet. Our route included passing through Northern California. It was beautiful, and I told Daddy that I believe that we are living in the wrong part of California ;)








About half way to Oregon, where the Rices live, we came to Mt. Shasta. Of course, we had to stop and take a picture....it was GORGEOUS in person. Pictures never do justice....








After an almost 19 hour drive, we reached Corvallis, Oregon! You did so good.....even though you did start crying a little towards the end of the drive because you're butt was hurting :(

We found a hotel, checked in, and settled down.





As you can see, my dear, you were quite happy to finally be out of your carseat ;)
Anyway, we ate dinner and then went to bed early. We were so excited to wake up the next day to go meet the Rices!!!!
Lily's party was just after noon, so we woke up early to get ready....







We were 30 minutes away from leaving to go to Lily's party. I decided to text Patti and tell her to tell Lily happy birthday for me, and then I told them to have a fun day( I was tring to mess with their minds ;)) Patti texted back and said that they had to cancel Lily's party til the next night because alot of people that were going to attend the party were sick. I found this hilarious because Mommy was joking about them changing the date, and I told her that that would never happen. But, clearly, I was proven wrong!

So, I texted Patti back and told her that it was a bummer because our family was in town! She thought I was teasing, so she texted back and told me to meet them to have pizza. I asked which pizza place? and where at? She told me where they were headed and to save them a table. I said "Ok, see you there" and that's pretty much where the conversation ended.

So we set out to go to Pizza Hut! We walked in, and I was the first one that Patti saw (You were a ways behind me in Mommy's arms). She grabbed Lily's dad, Sam's, arm and I will never forget the look on her face for as long as I live! We hugged, then me and Lily's big sister(and my best friend), Kenzie, hugged. They were so shocked!

Then, I got to meet Lily......


Isn't she beautiful, Laura? We were all so excited to finally meet everyone :)

We sat down, and enjoyed pizza together. They took us in like family. It was absolutely amazing....

Kenzie holding you, and me holding Lily!



After we were done eating, we headed over to the Rice house. They made us feel so at home. We watched Lily open her gift from her mommy and daddy then we watched as she played with it(and the bow, of course) ;)






You and Lily got along great. Best friends right from the start....




Like true best friends....she cries, you cry....

We had an amazing time. Our time with them was filled with love, laughter, and all of the sweet things that good friends do.

Me and Kenzie.....she is seriously my best friend, Bug. She is amazing....






It was finally time for Lily's party.....Here she is looking all pretty in her party dress :)



Lily's birthday cakes......Her mommy made those! They're so cute, huh? ;)




Me and you having a blast!



Mommy and Patti became fast friends. They are so much alike, Laura! From the first time I read Patti's letters to Lily, I knew that mommy and her would be great friends, and I was right.....



I love their whole family! They are one of the most amazing families that I know. I love each one of them: Sam, Patti, Jason, Josiah, Mackenzie, Tyler, Jon Jon, Caleb, Abbi, Noah, Jack Jack, and Lily.

If you and Lily had not been born with that magical extra chromosome, we wouldn't have met...and that, darling, would be so sad......I can not even begin to imagine my life without them.


Then, came presents.....



Here, she was opening her gifts from us :)



Then, it was cake time. And, boy, did Lilybird enjoy her cake!



Josiah, Kenzie, Me, and Bubba became fast friends. I love them.......



Beautiful Kenzie with beautiful Lily....

Our night eventually had to come an end, and that made me so sad. I did not want to leave. We cleaned up Lily's party, and walked outside. Patti hugged Mommy and they both started crying. None of us wanted to leave. We all hugged and said goodbye. As soon as I got in the car, I started crying like a baby. From the moment we left, I missed them. I still miss them, and want nothing more than to make the trip back to Oregon to see them once again. I can not wait to see them again in April! Anyway, we left at 8:30 pm that night to make our almost 16 hour trip back home. I was sad to leave, but I knew that that weekend, I had made memories that I would remember for the rest of my life....

I love you so much Rice Family!

And I love you, too, my sweetie bug!

To the moon and back 1,000 times x 10

Love,

Sissy

4 comments:

Lacey said...

What a fantastic weekend! They are so cute together, they could be twins!

JC said...

This had me in tears! What a wonderful experience for all of you...And to think if these two beautiful little girls hadnt come into this world you may never have known each other...truly meant to be :)
Beautiful pictures, as always :)

RK said...

How impressive that your family would agree to such a big trip for a short time! Love that kind of living! Clearly Patti and her family were just as equally moved by your gesture, and it'll be a great memory years down the road when the Lily and Laura are teens begging to go to the mall together. :o)

Patti said...

oooohhh, i did not see this post before! talk about making me cry! I love you, ashley- you and your family are AMAZING!!! move to Oregon!!!