Saturday, January 22, 2011

Happy 1st Heart Day!

Dear Laura,
One year ago, at this exact moment, you were lying in a hospital bed. You had just undergone major open heart surgery. You were weak and sore.

I can not begin to describe the pain that I felt that morning. I felt as if I had lost you even though you were very much alive. When I kissed you before they took you back to repair your heart, I cried because I felt like I was saying goodbye to you. I did not know if you would make it through your surgery. I did not know....what was about to happen. I was scared, but at the same time, I was at peace. I was at peace because I knew that God was guiding the surgeons hands and He was holding you in His.



Today, we celebrated. We celebrated your life. Because, one year ago, our lives, including yours, were forever changed. Changed for the better. Did you know that the doctors told us that if you would not have had surgery, then you wouldn't have made it another year? So, your life, your surgery, is something to be celebrated.

Mommy baked you a cake. It was all about hearts today, baby!


I did a little photoshoot with you today in honor of your 1st ever Heart Day.



I thank God for letting us keep you.



I thank God for healing your heart. It was broken and He made it whole again.



Your heart is beautiful. It is perfect.



I wish that one year ago, I could have looked ahead to this day. It would have brought me so much comfort seeing where you are now. Seeing how so very healthy you are now because of that surgery.


















You are so beautiful, darling. So very beautiful.


After your photoshoot, we went to dinner then back home to have some cake. You knew just what to do with it. I think you picked up a few skills from Lily ;)



You with Papa and Grandma...



Our family! Made perfect because of you :)



You with Cousin Spencer, Uncle Ricky, Auntie Joely, and Cousin Chris....



Mommy & Daddy bought this book for you last night for your Heart Day. It has nothing to do with hearts, but they bought it for a purpose. Because YOU have learned something new! When we say, "How big is Laura? So big!"....


You throw your arms up and put a smile on your face. I know that you're proud of yourself ;) and I'm proud of you too!

So, as I close this, I just want you to know that I am thankful for you. I am thankful for your life. I am thankful for God giving you to me on October 25th, 2009, then giving you back to me once again on January 22nd, 2010.
I love you to the moon and back 1,000 times x 10!

Love,
Sissy

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful. God bless xx

emma said...

beautiful. God bless xx

Cathy said...

Beautiful post!!! Isn't it amazing how our perspective about that day changes. I know you weren't celebrating January 22, 2010. But now...celebrate away...for it's the day that meant your family got to keep your precious Laura. God bless you, Laura, and many more Happy Heart Days!!!

Unknown said...

What a special day! I love all of the pictures but the ones in the flowers are my favorite. Every one of them!

JC said...

Oh Ashley, this was beautiful! Happy Heart Day Laura :)

RK said...

Happy Heart Day, Laura!! It's a big deal, so I'm glad you had a big day!

Braska will have her 4-year heart day next month, and it's hard to believe it's been that long!

Oh, and add me to your private list, please and thanks!

Patti said...

YAY, first to comment! Ash;ey, seriously, those are your best photos EVER! I love them!! You are amazing with that camera, girl. Happy Heart day, Laura. I love love love that cake! Tell your mom she should have made Lily's when you were here:) I love that new font you're using too- how did you do that? You must have some blogging secrets up your sleeve:) Miss you guys!

Lacey said...

Happy heart day princess!! Arina has that same outfit! And almost same bow. A few posts back I posted some pics of her in it! I haven't been able to photoshop them yet because its acting up. Grrr

CameoLeigh said...

Just gorgeous pictures!! The first one took my breath away with tears in my eyes. It is always hard to see babies in pain and poor Miss Laura looked in pain. But the rest of the pictures made those tears dry up! Happy Heart Day Laura!! And thanks, Ashley, for sharing your talent and your stories with us!

Keri Jo said...

What a great reason to celebrate! I can't even imagine the emotions of watching a little one go into such a huge surgery. I've been through a scarry one with my husband, but can't imagine watching a baby going through those double doors. Good thing we have God to hold onto for those tough times! Hopefully it's something she'll never remember and only celebrate about :)

PS the pictures are so sweet.

Cory said...

That was beautiful. Laura is such a good little model. I am so happy that she is here, and she is so blessed to be in your family.

Savana said...

Happy heart day Laura!!! :) I can't wait to meet her!! (and you of course!) I love your photos of her Ash, they are soo beautiful! <3

Bethany said...

Dear Sissy,
This blog is the most superb way of preserving the love and relationship and memories you share with your gorgeous little sister. When I first saw this, it brought tears to my eyes. I didn't realize one could express such love for another with a few simple but passionate words. You have made me realize what beautiful things I have in my life and how much I take advantage of the lovely and dear people in my life. Thank you so much and God bless you and little Laura. I don't know you but I love you both so much! <3
Love,
Bethany

Melissa said...

Happy Heart Day sweet girl! Ashley, I love the new pics, and the new header is amazing!!