Saturday, November 13, 2010

Keepin' us on our toes

Dear Laura,
Since the time you were born, you've liked to keep us all on our toes. You've had us rushing to the emergency room at all hours of the day(and night). The first time was when you were a little under 2 months old, and me and Mommy decided to go see New Moon. We left you at home with Daddy because we didn't want to get you around all the germs. Plus, you were bottle fed at the time so you weren't totally dependant on Mommy. Anyway, not even half way through the movie, Daddy called Mommy and said that you had thrown up twice and that you were pale, acting weak, and your breathing was shallow. So in a panic, me and Mommy ran(literally) out of the movie theater. I drove home, and I tried to get there as fast as I could because, by the way Daddy described it, you did not sound good. Me and Mommy were scared. We didn't know what was wrong with you or if you would be ok when we got home. Bubba called 911 and we got home around the same time that the ambulance got there. They were driving SO slow which upset us. They acted like they were lost so I pulled up beside them to try to tell them to follow me so they could get there quicker. Anyway, they didn't like that and the ambulance lady chewed me out because she said that as far as she knew I had a gun. Okay yeah, I always follow ambulances around (in a mini van, mind you) trying to gun them down haha Anyway, we were already upset and worried, and it didn't help that the lady was so rude to me. So, they took you to the emergency room and you wound up being fine. I guess the throwing up was what made you pale and weak. Even though you only threw up a bit, because your heart was weak, it took everything out of you. This all happened the night before Thanksgiving. We were supposed to be at Grandma and Grandpa's house at noon the next day, and we were at the ER til after 5 the next morning. Needless to say, we were pretty tuckered on Thanksgiving. Then, another time not too long after, you had us rushing to the ER again because once again you threw up and acted weak. Because you are a heart baby, things like that have to be taken seriously.
Okay, I'm getting somewhere with this, my dear. Just stick with me :)
So anyway, yesterday morning, I woke up to the sound of someone having a hard time breathing. I opened my eyes, and mommy was walking past my room to get you to the bathroom so she could get the steam going to try to clear up your chest. See, you've had a cold, but it hadn't got this bad before. Just a little cough here or there or a little congestion, but that's it. So Mommy realized how bad you sounded and called the nurse. She heard you over the phone, and said that you didn't sound good and that Mommy should take you in. Because you are a baby, have Ds, and you're a heart baby, you have alot of things against you when it comes to getting sick. So we rushed out of the house. Me still in my jammies, hair not done, no makeup, no shoes...believe me, it wasn't pretty. Anyway, Mommy called Daddy and told him what was going on so he could pray and stuff. Then, she called Brenda to let her know what was going on so that she could pray too. We got to the ER, and Mommy took you in while I stayed in the car. I occupied my time while texting a friend, texting the Rices asking them to pray, and keeping Grandma updated with phone calls. Pretty soon Daddy showed up. He said he couldn't concentrate at work knowing that you were sick. So they checked your sats(your oxygen) and they were in the good range. They finally called you back to a room, and said that you had viral croup. But they said your lungs sounded clear so they think all the noise was coming from your throat.


Don't be deceived, you were feeling fine in that picture, just tired. Anyway, they gave you some steriods to help with your croup. While all of this was going on, Mommy had to call and cancel your first ever PT appointment. You booger, you could have just told us that you didn't want to go instead of faking sick ;) jk! Anyway, you finally got to go home, and you are doing so much better now. You're still a little croupy, but not as bad. Mommy is actually upstairs right now giving you the steam treatment :)
Thank you for keeping us on our toes, baby girl! haha

I love you to the moon and back 1,000 times x 10!

Love,
Sissy

4 comments:

Melissa said...

It's no fun to be sick! The junky cold stuff sure is going around. We took Claire into the ER about 2 weeks ago because she sounded terrible too. Everything was good with her too, but it's not something to mess with...

Patti said...

I am so glad she is all better! I hate trips to the ER:( I love your new header, and Ilove the song that's playing right now! Give that sweetie bug a kiss from me:)

Ashley said...

Patti-I loved the song too until I realized that it talks about kissing...Not exactly the most appropriate song for a sister :p

Elissa said...

I'm SO glad Laura is okay!