Monday, January 28, 2013

A few things I learned about Russia

Dear Kami,
While I was in your country, I took a mental note of things about Russia that I wanted to write down for you. We have no plans of ever going back to your country as of right now. I wanted to write these things down for you so you can know a little about the country you were born in because you most likely won't ever go back. So, here is a list of some things that I learned about Russia :)

1. All of their soda tastes like diet soda. I had a hard time drinking their soda because I do not like diet soda at all so I ended up mainly drinking water.

2. Russia's KFC chicken tastes SO much better than KFC chicken here in America. It has somewhat of a spicy batter on it with some yummy flavoring. It's the only food from Russia that I've been craving since we returned home.

3. Almost everyone in Russia smokes. Everywhere you go, you smell smoke. The apartment we were staying at in Russia has three doors we had to enter through before we got to the main part of the apartment. We had to keep all 3 doors shut while we were there just so we didn't have to smell smoke constantly.

4. People drive however they want over there. Some roads there are very wide, but they don't have any lines on the road. So, people make 2 or 3 lane roads out of one road just because it's wide enough for them to do so. It's crazy!

5. Alot of stuff there is in Russian (obviously), but they also have alot of buildings with English written on them. I thought that was really funny because they have English writing on some of their stuff, but we don't have Russian writing on our buildings, etc.

6. Russians are always on the go. When we got to Russia, we didn't get back to our apartment until after 2 am. There were people still driving around like it was the middle of the day, and some people were even outside walking around in the freezing weather!

7. Russians seem to be resistant to the cold! haha Moms and their babies would be out walking around in freezing temperatures like it was 70 degrees and sunny outside.

8. They have scrumptious breakfast danishes. On the way to your orphanage for Gotcha Day, we stopped by a gas station to get a little something for breakfast and a drink. I grabbed a water bottle and a warmed raspberry and cheese danish. It was so yummy!



9. They have gorgeous buildings there. Alot of the buildings have been around for a long time, and most of them have stories behind them. It was really neat to be able to see some of the places in person that I've heard about in history books that I read in school when I was little.






10. Russian malls are alot different than American malls. American malls are built nicely, but they have clothing stores like Hollister or JcPenney. In Russia, at the mall I went in at least, was not built as nicely, but the stores there looked like something that only rich people would be able to afford to shop in.



11. Before we went to Russia, Bubba used to always joke about Russians saying "ski" after all of their words. Like for example: Sodaski, Muffinski, Churchski, etc. So, when I got there and realized that the Russian word for Moscow is Moscowski, it totally made my day!

12. In movies and stuff, Russians are always portrayed as stern and very serious people. Some Russians are like that just like some Americans are like that, but I met WAY more sweet Russians than anything. When we went to the mall, a Russian waitress walked up to Bubba and I. Through our translator, this sweet Russian girl told us that she was so thankful that we were there. She said that we are brave, and she told us not to be scared. She put a big smile on my face knowing that eve though I felt like we weren't wanted there due to the adoption ban, we were not fully unwelcomed there. It made me feel really good, and I will always remember that sweet, sweet waitress.

13. Well, I already knew this before my trip to Russia, but Russian choclate is amazing. I hope you get to try it someday :)

14. Russian meat-filled pancakes are absolutely disgusting. Bubba, Mommy, and Daddy like them, but I thought they were very gross. The meat was pretty good, but meat mixed with sweetness is not a good mixture. Yuck!



15. The sun comes up alot later there. Right now, it's 8 in the morning here. The sun is shining bright. In Russia at this time, it would still be pitch black outside.

Well, sweet girl, I hope that you enjoy reading a little bit about the country you were born in. I will always be thankful for Russia because that is where you came from, but I am so much more thankful that you are here in America. I love you so much, baby girl.

Love,
Sissy

1 comment:

Lois said...

Even if she doesn't enjoy reading it, I sure did! You made everything come alive for those of us who have never been there and may never get the chance. I also really enjoyed your report of getting little Kamdyn...and all the pictures! Keep up the good work...