Wednesday, August 19, 2015

5 years later....

It has been over a year since I have posted on this little blog of mine. When I noticed the date of my last post, I could hardly believe it. I had no idea that it had been that long. What matters now, though, is that I am back! And, I am back for good :)

This summer, this blog turned 5 years old. It's so crazy to me that it's been that long since I made the decision to make this blog to start writing love letters to Laura. I had no idea all that would happen over the next 5 years after publishing my first post. I had no idea that I would be using this blog to update about Kami's adoption or that this blog would be something that I would share with my future husband. I am so thankful that I made that decision on that summer day in 2010 to create this little space. It has been therapeutic for me on a lot of days to be able to come here and just share my heart. Even though the name has changed, and I have transitioned it into more of a "regular" type blog, I still want to use it to write letters to Laura and Kami. The letters, though, won't be centered around Down syndrome and adoption much anymore.

Over time, Down syndrome has became something that just isn't that big of a deal anymore. As Laura became older, it is definitely something that has become less and less on my mind. And adoption? Adoption is also something that isn't a big deal anymore. Kami is my sister. Not my adopted sister. Just my sister. After the adoption was over, I needed more normal in my life. After 18 months of being focused on the adoption and fundraising, I felt I needed to take a step back and just embrace our new normal in life. So, with all of these changes, I felt the need to make this blog into something that I could use for whatever I want.

So, for a little update:

Laura and Kami are getting SO big! Kami turned 4 years old this past February, and Laura is turning 6 years old (WHAT?!) in just two months! I can hardly believe how fast both of them are growing. They are both so smart and are learning more and more with each day that passes.


Every time I see them, it seems like there is a new word that they are saying. They use words more than sign language these days which is awesome for me to see. Even though Kami does speak a lot of gibberish sounding words still.... which I'm still not completely convinced isn't just her talking her native language ;)

As for me? Well, I'm married now. As of May 1st of this year, I became David's wife. After almost 3 years of being engaged, it seemed as if it would never happen. But now, we have been married for over 3 months, and I couldn't imagine life any other way. I absolutely LOVE being married to my best friend.

 
Laura and Kami were both flower girls in our wedding. They did such a good job, and they looked absolutely adorable while doing it.
 
 


I was so happy to be able to have them in our wedding. They are such a huge part of my life so it was such a blessing to be able to include them. And seriously, flower girls don't come any cuter than them!
 
I will be updating this blog way more often now that I have more time to do so. Being a stay at home wife (is that even a thing?) allows me to make more time for things that are important to me....and writing on this blog of mine is definitely something that is important to me. If you want more frequent updates, feel free to follow us on Instagram at mrsashleydavila :)
 
Happy Wednesday, friends!
 
Love,
Ashley



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! You three all look so beautiful. Congratulations and glad to see you back here :) Glad to see the girls are doing so well.

Naomi said...

Awww this picture of you and the girls is gorgeous! And how the heck are they that old??? Crazy!! Glad you are doing well and enjoying married life!