Sunday, December 9, 2012

What I want people to understand

*Some people got upset at the way that this post was originally worded and some of the content in it, so I decided to edit then republish it.*

I honestly don't think some people understand how important it is for us to save Kamdyn and get her home. I think some people look at the fact that she is clothed and fed, and they automatically think that it is less important to help her than the orphans in third world countries. Yes, Kamdyn is clothed, but she has no clothes to call her own. All of the clothes that she wears have a little number "2" on them to let the orphanage know that those clothes belong on the kids in group 2. They are not hers. Yes, Kamdyn is fed, but she is not nourished. She drinks yogurt from a bottle. Her lunch and dinner consists of crushed up cookies, milk, and some other stuff in a bowl. She has no veggies, no fruits.

I can't say that she is not loved because I know that she is. Her "nannies" love her. I know they do. It is not the kind of love that a family can give her though. It's just not the same. She is not held when she gets hurt, and she is not rocked to sleep when she doesn't feel good. She does not get kisses and hugs before she goes to sleep. Before my parents passed court, and she became ours forever, she was motherless. She was fatherless. She had no family to call her own.

It upsets me to see people act like they don't care about Kamdyn and our mission to bring her home. I see people post pictures of kids from third world countries on Facebook and Instagram, and yet people delete me from Facebook because they are tired of me fundraising. They ask me to stop sending them invites asking them to help us bring Kamdyn home. I think people don't understand that Kamdyn needs love just as much as those others kids do. The Bible says "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress....." (James 1:27) The Bible does not say "Only look after the orphans that are from certain countries." The Bible just says look after orphans! It does not specify from which country or in what condition that orphan is in.

I also think that some people don't understand that because Kamdyn has Down syndrome, she has NO future in the country she is living in. Kids with special needs that are born in places like Bulgaria, Russia, and Ukraine are looked down upon. Doctors in countries like those talk the parents into giving their baby with special needs up for adoption because they try to convince the parents that the baby will be better off there. So, because the parents are scared, they give that child up for adoption. Most people do not know that if kids with special needs in these countries do not get adopted by the age of 4 or 5 (usually) then that child will be put into a mental institution. Most of the children develop institutional behaviors such as banging their heads against their crib and rocking back and forth. Kids do not deserve to be put into an institution just because they have special needs!

I want people to understand that Kamdyn is just as important as those orphans in Haiti and Africa. She is just as important as those orphans in Mexico and China. She is worthy of LOVE! She deserves a family. We ARE her family. We will give her the LOVE she deserves. She is worthy. Because we saw the worth in her, she is an orphan no more. Soon, she will be home, and she will never be alone ever again. She will be nourished and comforted. She will be ours.



9 comments:

Angela said...

I think you've got it wrong. People give to 3rd world countries because those kids don't have anyone else. Kamdyn is fortunate enough to have you and your family. You obviously have the $ to bring her home or they wouldn't have approved her adoption. There are children out there who will never get adopted but will at least have food in their bellies thanks to the donations from strangers. God has blessed you with a new sister...be thankful and stop being so selfish!

cara said...

I get your point Ashley. And if these beautiful children with down syndrome do not get adopted, they will truly live lives of horror in these institutions being ripped from everything they know. And all orphanages are different. Every child in this world should have a family to call their own and have sincere love and nourishment. I am SO thankful for families like yours that take that leap of faith and rescue those that have no voice!! If we all adopted, there would be much less orphans in this world. I also believe that ALL orphans matter to God and all are worthy of adoption. xoxo

lmulkey said...

Angela, I dont think that this was written selfeshly. I think Ashley was simply trying to put it out there that ALL orphans out there are important and need to be saved. I am adopting from the same country as Kamdyn and I could buy a 700 series Bmw for what it costs to adopt one child from there. No to mention that for every Kamdyn that now has a family, there are hundreds just like her being transferred to mental institutions everyday to live their life in a crib alone. No this was not selfish, Ashley was simply defending the fact that ALL orphans are important when poeple were telling her that Kamdyn was not.

Rachel Center said...

As an adoptive parent: this is about FAMILY. It IS a good thing to donate and help those in need, including orphans who desperately need donations to be given to REPUTABLE charities that will actually get the needs met where the needs are. We NEED that because (sadly) there are not enough adoptive families to help adopt ALL the orphans in the world and feed all the hungry. BUT... adoption is a beautiful, beautiful thing. There is NOTHING wrong with raising funds to save YOUR sister/daughter/son/brother/friend and to bring them into a loving home and family. And there is certainly NOTHING selfish about giving your time, love, money towards a child who needs a family or towards a family in the process of adoption. God paid the ultimate price to adopt us.

Ashton said...

I see where you are coming from and from my adoptive sister point of view I totally understand, but with that being said..I feel how you worded that is rather offensive. I have 3 siblings who were adopted from China and plan on being a missionary in Africa {Which are the two main areas you bashed} My sister, Ainsley, was given "failure to thrive" and when we adopted her at 2 1/2 she weighed 12lbs. So, without families like mine who go to the countries like China and Africa my sister would be dead. She deserves the same chance at life as your sister does. No child is better than another child and they ALL need families. Regardless of their race, the color of their skin, special need or how bloated their bellies are. Like you said, James 1:27 doesn't say only adopt/help "this child". Every single person/family is called somewhere differently according to God's plans for each of our lives and I don't feel any of us are in a place to judge anyone for where they choose to help.

Anonymous said...

Wow this isnt even any different frim the last one you should really think aboit what yiu erite I have kids from africa and china your a heartless person

Sherry said...

Ash, DON'T listen to any of the negative things that people say! God knows your heart! Your friends know your heart! Your family knows your heart! That is ALL that matters!! You are one of the sweetest, most caring people I know! You have one of the biggest and most amazing hearts in the world! Don't ever, ever change who you are <3

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should just get a loan or a job or something? It's not other peoples job to help YOU adopt someone.

MtnGirl said...

What a bunch of nuts are responding to your post! To those people who think they are the "heroes" for adopting children from Africa and China, there are children in the United States who are also starving and have no homes! So do NOT think that because you adopted a child from Africa that you are better than anyone else. I have a nephew who was adopted from Russia. He was a preemie and his mother left him at the hospital after birth - did he not deserve a family? (even though he was fed and clothed) That is bull! I think if GOD leads someone to adopt from Russia, the US, Africa, China or wherever, more power to them! God hasn't led me to adopt a child yet I work with children who have special needs. Does that mean I am a better person than a construction worker or a mother who has 100 children - all with special needs? No! I may not have adopted a child, but I have made donations to those who are orphaned. And if someone wants to request donations, nobody is forcing anyone to donate - let your heart and the Holy Spirit guide you and quit picking on this sister who is trying to bring her SISTER home! If you don't want to donate, don't. If you don't want to read about the adoption, then go somewhere else! I'm sick of these "I'm better than you because I adopted from Africa or China or a child with special needs people!" If you truly cared about the orphan, you would do everything in your power to help ALL orphans, not just select ones! Oh, and quit having babies - there are enough babies out there who have no family!