My name is Laura, and I am almost three years old. I was born with something called Down syndrome. Down syndrome doesn't make me weird or scary. It just makes me cooler than you! (Just kidding! Or am I.....) Alot of people stare at me funny when I'm out and about because my face looks different than theirs. My sissy tells me that it's just because I'm so stinkin' cute! I think she's right. I mean, just look at me!
Alot of mean people make fun of people like me who have Down syndrome. They say that people with Down syndrome shouldn't be born because they do no good to our world. My sissy disagrees. She tells me everyday that she loves me! If people love me, that must mean I'm special. If I'm special, then I must be bringing lots of good to our world!
I am a warrior. I have gone through open heart surgery at just 2 months old. I also had intestinal surgery, ear tubes put in, and my appendix removed when I was 18 months old. I am a fighter. My sissy says that I'm stronger than she'll ever be :)
It makes my family sad when people around us say the word "retard" or "retarded". Even though my family knows I'm not those words, it makes them sad because mean people refer to people with Down syndrome as "retards" or "retarded" because they are just rude people who don't realize how truly amazing me and all of my friends with an extra chromosome really are! It would make me really happy if you would not say the "R" word because it's a bad word, and most likely every time you say it, you are hurting someone with a special need and their family, friends, and other loved ones.
I'm Laura. That's all. I'm not a Down syndrome baby. I'm not a Down syndrome kid. I'm not a Downs baby. I'm not handicap. I'm not a special needs kid. I am NOT defined by my Down syndrome. It's just something I have. It's not who I am. I am just Laura!
I love to eat, and I love juice! I love to play with my doll house, and I absolutely LOVE to dance. I don't like to not get my way, and I am so very stubborn. My mommy calls me her sweet and sour sauce because I'm so, so sweet, but so very sour at the same time! I get happy, sad, mad, upset, excited, and scared just like you do. See, we're not really that different from eachother!
Thank you for taking the time to read this and for getting to know me a little better. I wish more people would take the time to see me for me instead of just seeing my Down syndrome. I hope one day everyone sees me the one my family sees me....... Just as Laura.
Love,
Laura





2 comments:
Awww, I adore you Laura!!
Love it!!!
Post a Comment