Dear Laura,
I started writing this letter to you, and it started off as something completely different than what it is going to be about now. Why did I change my mind you might be wondering? Well, when you get sissy fired up about something, there ain't no stopping me.
The other day, a "friend" of mine posted some things on Facebook making fun of people with Down syndrome, and it hurt. It hurt so deep down. I could not believe that this person who has personally loved on you before would be able to post something like this when they know the truth about how amazing people with Down syndrome are.
When I look at you, I see your gorgeous smile.
When I look at you, I see those piercing blue and innocent eyes.
When I look at you, I just want to wrap my arms around you and never let go.
When I look at you, I see your sweet personality and silly sense of humor.
When, I look at you, I see nothing less than perfection. So I have a hard time understanding....
How can anyone see any different?
You are beautiful and perfect and everything that God intended for you to be. Do you know the best thing he made you, though? MY SISTER. Because I am your voice. I am the one who sticks up for you because you can't stick up for yourself. Truth is, you should never have to defend who you are. But because of this sick world we live in, you have to. Don't worry, though, sweet girl. Sissy's got your back.
I love you to the moon and back 1,000 times x 10!
Love,
Sissy
3 comments:
Knowledge is definitely power! Educate girl! ;-))
She has the best sister she could ever wish for!!!
That is so wonderful that she has a great sister to stick up for her. My son (who is 9 , but was 8 then) did something similar recently. We had taken our boys to a playland. Inside one of the bounce houses, kids were making fun of a boy with Down's. My young son proceeded to tell them that they were being mean and they needed to stop treating that boy like that. He said, "Mommy, they ignored me." I told him that I was proud of him for sticking up for this boy and not giving in to peer pressure. We have always raised them not to treat people different. You have a precious little sister and you are so wonderful to take care of her so well.
Post a Comment