I don't know who will read this today or tomorrow or months from now, but this morning, I felt led to write this blog post.
Dear Mommy,
I can hear you crying. I can hear the doctor talking. He just told you that I have Down syndrome. You're asking the doctor questions, and you sound so scared. The doctor said that I will have no quality of life. He said that you could abort me if you want to. Mommy, please don't do that. Please, Mommy, keep me. I know you're scared, but things will get better. I know you think that it will be hard to take care of me, and you don't know if you could handle a child with special needs. Things might not be easy all of the time, and I may have a few medical issues, but I promise to give you more love and joy than you ever thought possible. I am not a burden like people might tell you, Mommy! I am a blessing, and I am a beautiful creation of God. I may have an extra chromosome, but that doesn't make my life lose quality....it makes my life GAIN quality! I will show you that I can do what everyone else does. It just might take me a little longer than others to get there, but that will make you rejoice in my accomplishments even more because you know I worked so hard to accomplish them. You will fall in love with my almond shaped eyes and the crease in my palm. You will think that my spaced toes are so adorable. You will fall in love with each of these traits because they make me who I am. Don't worry about my brothers and sisters, Mommy. I won't burden them, either. I promise. I will make them better people, and they will fall in love with me, too. I will show them what unconditional love looks like.
I know you're scared, Mommy, but I promise that everything will be okay. Actually, it will be better than okay. It will be amazing. I am not just a diagnosis, Mommy. I am still your baby. Please, Mommy, choose life. You won't regret it. I promise.
Love,
Your baby with a little something extra

3 comments:
Beautiful. I'd love to share if that's ok... Words like these can make a difference, especially when prompted by God. Thank you for listening to him.
Your blog is beautiful and this post is very powerful. I enjoyed reading some of your posts this morning. Sisters are the best! <3
You may find this post cause it's written for you or someone you love. You may know now or not or maybe you JUST KNOW. Ask questions but find REAL answers from informed sources with experience (not your doctor who might LIKELY have no experience at all, seriously). Take your time. www.downsyndromepregnancy.com
Not choosing life is that, you choose or you bring life and light & love.
There are long, long waiting lists of families to adopt your child with Down syndrome regardless of medical conditions. Consider every option.
Thank you for your bravery!
My that's one interesting list of blogs you follow sister, oh my. Keep on going yahoo! Beautify the world with your tremendous passion & follow your heart. It's phenomenal!
Post a Comment